Why teach in a Massachusetts “Level 4” Turnaround School?
There are numerous benefits for teachers willing to accept the challenge of teaching in a Turnaround School. We recognize that teachers who work in low-performing schools need additional supports, resources and services to assist them in enabling all students to achieve high levels of academic growth.
To that end, each of the nine participating school districts is exploring a variety of supports to help attract and retain outstanding teachers to be successful in their lowest-performing schools. Possibilities may include...
Opportunity for impact
- Address the achievement gaps for children in greatest need of improvement – including many students with disabilities and English Language Learners.
- Take your teaching to the next level by working with students who most need your help and support.
- Help lead an historic transformation — turning a persistently underperforming school into a school of excellence.
- Work with a talented school leader who supports and empowers great teachers.
- Participate in a team-based, collaborative approach to instructional leadership.
- Enjoy collegiality with other outstanding teachers who've demonstrated effectiveness with students.
- Apply to teach in a school as a team with other outstanding teachers you know.
- Benefit from additional funding, resources and services for the school, including social-emotional and wrap-around services for students.
- Participate in high-quality, job-embedded professional development, as well as content area coaching.
- Have improved access to student data to inform and improve your teaching practice.
- Be part of state or regional professional development networks with other teachers helping to transform under-achieving schools.
- Collaborate and plan with your colleagues during extra time for teacher teams.
- Accelerate student growth with additional instructional time for learning.
Additional compensation being considered by many districts
- Earn additional pay for working an extended school day or year.
- Become eligible for school-wide performance bonuses based on student results.
- Receive opportunities to advance on a career ladder (e.g. stipends for Master Teachers).
- Receive other financial incentives, such as graduate credit, loan forgiveness, and education or housing subsidies.
Make a difference in students’ lives — and your own.